Citronella plant is known as Cymbapogon plant, belongs to lemongrass family. Citronella oil can be derived from two varieties such as Ceylon variety, botanical known as Cymbopogon nardus while other one is Java variety, scientifically termed as Cymbopogon wintarianus. It grows in Asian countries and also in South Pacific. Due to its rich, crispy lemony aroma, it bears citronella name.
Citronella oil is obtained from fresh plant of Cymbopogon through steam distillation method.
Its main constituents are citronella, geraniol, citronellol, citronellyl acetate, beta-bourbonene, geranyl acetate, elemol, L-borneol, linalool and nerol.
Citronella oil is slight yellow and colorless in color. It has grassy and lemon scent.
Citronella oil is well blends with other essential oils such as cedar wood, clary sage, tea tree, eucalyptus, geranium, lavender, lemon, peppermint and rosemary.
Safety and Precautions:
- Citronella is used as ingredient in mosquito repellant, it prevent mosquito bites.
- Citronella has antifungal property so that it inhibits or suppressed fungal growth in ear, nose and throat regions.
- It is used in aromatherapy as it induce positivity and happiness in mind, uplifts spirit and provides relieve from stress as it reduces blood pressure, heart rate and also breathing rate.
- It is added to flavor in foods, baked foods and beverages.
- It is effective against infections in wounds; also protect colon, urethra, urinary bladder, stomach, intestines, urinary tracts, prostate and kidneys from infections.
- It helps in relieving spasms of the muscles; respiratory system and nervous system and prevents menstrual spasm as well.
- It has anti-inflammatory property; it reduces inflammation of liver, stomach and other parts of digestive system.
- It is used in deodorants and in body sprays, Citronella oil has a refreshing and body odor- removing property.
- It is diuretic, increases urination and eliminates toxic and disposes body wastes from body.
- It increases sweating and promotes removal of toxins and provides lighter feeling and healthy skin to body.
- It is effective against fever and also brings down temperature.
- It maintains the function of stomach properly and also clears stomach infections.
- It is stimulant as it stimulates blood circulation, immune mechanisms and metabolism of body, secretions & discharges of hormones and enzymes from glands, brain and also encourages activity of nervous system.
- It tones up digestion, excretion, nervous system and brain.
- It kills intestinal worms, round worms and tape worms.
Specification of Citronella Oil:Organoleptic Properties:Appearance :
- Avoid using citronella while pregnant as it can cause mild skin irritation.
- It can cause irritation, dermatitis or sensitization of skin.
Fluid liquidColour :
Light yellowOdour :
Strong odour of citronella.Botanical Source :
Cymbopogon Winterianus Jowitt Physico Chemical Properties:Specific Gravity :
0.840 – 0.900Optical Rotation :
+4° - -2°Refractive Index :
1.445 – 1.478Solubility :
Soluble in 0.8 to 1.5 vol. of 80% alcoholStorage :
In well fitted container in cool and dark place.